The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) has committed itself to name the new major telco player before the third State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Rodrigo Duterte in July, a top official said.
DICT acting chief Eliseo Rio, Jr. said on April 6 the agency will still push to award frequencies to the third telco carrier, which could break the so-called telco duopoly of PLDT and Globe Telecom.
He said this despite the fact that the President has no longer set a deadline for the entry of a new player.
Rio stressed the third telco entrant has the capacity to challenge the two existing players given the enough frequencies allotted for the former.
The spectrum available includes the 700 megahertz frequencies of PLDT and Globe Telecom when both acquired the telco assets of San Miguel Corp., as well as the 10 megahertz from the Connectivity Unlimited Resource Enterprise (CURE) surrendered by PLDT.
The government official noted they will look at the potential bidders’ committed investment and technical expertise.
It was last year when Duterte opened the telco industry for a new player amid the Filipino public’s clamor for quality broadband services.