The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) will provide local government units (LGUs) with a list of qualified beneficiaries for the latest round of financial assistance following the reimposition of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
The Emergency Subsidy Program (ESP) aims to help low-income beneficiaries affected by the ECQ in Metro Manila and neighboring provinces from March 29 to April 4, DSWD spokesperson Irene Dumlao told reporters on Wednesday.
“The list of beneficiaries served in the ESP implementation may be used by the LGUs as a reference for identifying the individuals who will be given aid in their respective localities,” Dumlao said.
The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said earlier that an eligible individual is entitled to PHP1,000, with a maximum amount of PHP4,000 per family.
Qualified beneficiaries of the latest subsidy program were determined through projections of the DSWD and the National Economic and Development Authority.
However, the DSWD clarified that the LGUs may include other beneficiaries for the program, provided that they are low-income individuals living alone and belonging to the most affected and vulnerable sectors.
The government agency will start distributing the list on March 31 to LGUs placed under the week-long ECQ so they could start the distribution immediately.
Dumlao noted the commitment to LGUs in the National Capital Region, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal – collectively called the “NCR Plus” – to ensure efficient and effective delivery of the needed assistance.
About PHP23 billion are available for another round of aid to be given to those affected by the implementation of ECQ in the NCR Plus bubble.
Meanwhile, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) spokesman Jonathan Malaya said some local government units have begun preparing to distribute aid to their constituents, which will come either in cash or in kind via food packs and other relief goods. (Christine Cudis, PNA)